Work for FCA
Current Openings: September 8, 2014
Full Time Position
Based in Hood River, Oregon
ABOUT FCA: Farmers Conservation Alliance (FCA) is a nonprofit social enterprise that works to create solutions and technologies that benefit both the environment and agriculture. Currently, FCA is on a high growth trajectory as its first technology, the Farmers Screen fish screen, is scaling into new markets and applications. As Farmers Screen sales and FCA continue to expand, FCA is preparing for the launch and development of other technologies and solutions that improve and develop modern agricultural infrastructure as well as resource conservation.
JOB SUMMARY: This is not your typical engineering position. FCA is seeking a unique individual for its staff engineer. An ideal candidate would be an experienced engineer with a proven track record for engineering design; an innovative thinker; someone who enjoys working with teams of people; a person who is passionate about designing and implementing solutions that will benefit both the environment and agriculture; and above all, has a strength for working with and developing relationships with people of all industries, backgrounds, and beliefs.
In a typical week of the staff engineer position, a person could expect to spend time with other FCA team members on Farmers Screen project development, design, design review, and construction. This work would include providing modeling, hydraulic grade lines, and construction management of water diversion and screening projects for irrigation systems, hydropower projects, municipal water supplies, and other applications. Yet, the next day or that same afternoon, support marketing and outreach activities including attendance at conferences, delivering oral presentations, and writing for technical guides and articles. In addition, a staff engineer will be expected to provide insight and support to new products and strategies as well as support the research of development of the Farmers Screen and other current strategies.
- Manage project design, including site plan development, screen design and placement, generate a hydraulic grade line for a project, and work with outside engineering firms and other project partners to achieve project success.
- Conceive and manage research and development projects
- Interact with customers and partners regularly via phone, email, and in person
- Attend conferences and trade shows
- Submit abstracts and present at conferences
- Write technical documents describing the Farmers Screen for engineering firms and government agencies
- Write technical documents related to design and installation of the Farmers Screen
- Perform outreach to engineering firms
- Perform outreach to government agencies
- Maintain understanding of current regulations regarding fish passage and screening in western states
- Travel to site visits and project installations
- Provide technical drawings using AutoCAD or other drafting software, i.e. Sketch-up or SolidWorks
- Participate in FCA working sessions
- Research and development of current and new technologies and solutions
- Develop new tools for organizational efficiencies
- B.S. or M.S. degree in Engineering or physical science and a minimum 2 years experience in river restoration, irrigation infrastructure, hydropower, or municipal water systems.
- Hydraulic engineering experience preferred
- Experience working with agricultural and/or environmental communities, organizations, and/or individuals
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Water diversion design and construction
- Irrigation system design and construction
- HEC-RAS modeling
- Creating hydraulic grade lines through natural systems as well as man-made systems
- Design or design review of stream restoration projects
- Design or design review of fish passage structures
- Construction management/Project management
- Hydropower system development or design review
- Technical writing
- Additional experience with other drafting software, i.e. Sketch-up, SolidWorks
- Delivering oral presentations
- Ability to interact with a broad range of people in a conference setting
- Experience/comfort with selling a concept, idea, and or a product
- Familiarity with SalesForce CRM
- High level of communication skills, both written and verbal
- Understanding of the Endangered Species Act, specifically for aquatic species
- Understanding of various state and federal rules and regulations
- Ability to work with well with team of individuals
TO APPLY: To apply for the position of FCA staff engineer, please submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include information about your past experiences (both personal and professional), how you believe your work will benefit FCA, and your vision for your professional career in the next five to ten years. Please do not call or contact FCA directly about the position.